Tanks are widely used to contain pet reptiles and small mammals - but why ?
Glass or plastic tanks are widely used to contain pets for several reasons :
2. Tanks are easy to heat and retain heat so that the environmental temperature can be kept steady
3. Tanks have smooth, impervious surfaces which can be easily cleaned and disinfected
4. Pet owners can see their pet through the transparent walls and watch it's behaviour
5. Tanks are relatively cheap to buy
6. The solid tank walls protect pets from droughts and adverse external environmental conditions
1. The tank should not be totally sealed. The top must have gaps to allow air movement into and out of the tank. These gaps must be too small to allow escape of the pet.
2. Glass can concentrate heat, so tanks should not be positioned in direct strong sunlight
3. The tank should be shallow enough that the pet can be reached and food and water utensils can be changed easily from the top..
Updated October 2013