Flexible or rigid foams, used as thermal insulating material.

[affected.gif] Animals most affected

[etiology.gif] Etiology
Accidental ingestion of sheets or fragments of insulating material (notably in young animals with pica).

[toxic.gif] Toxicity
Although non-toxic, may cause a physical or mechanical obstruction of the gastric tract.

[clinical.gif] Clinical features

[lesions.gif] Lesions

[treatm~1.gif] Treatment
Trocarization and, if necessary, emergency gastrotomy, with manual removal of the material.
Note:similar incidents have arisen through ingestion of the flexible plastic covers from hay bales, silage sacks, polythene tunnels used in plant propagation systems and other horticultural activities.