A mycotoxin produced
by Phomopsis leptostromiformis.
Animals most affected
Sheep, cattle, (horses, pigs).
Fungus which grows on lupins (also on cereals
which have sheathed grains, grown in pastures or meadows) after autumn rains. Poisoning,
known as lupinosis, occurs after ingestion of contaminated lupins.
where the diet is high in copper, toxicity
exacerbated in sheep.
loss of appetite;
apathy, depression or prostration;
secondary photosensitization possible
death within 2-14 days.
The following have also been observed:
cattle: salivation and watering eyes
(with atrophic arthrosis in chronic cases);
horses: sluggishness or ataxia, reddish-brown
sheep and cattle: transudation (general).
fatty degeneration of the liver;
occasional progressive hepatic and renal fibrosis.
Symptomatic care only
Remove all the foodstuffs implicated in the poisoning; death, however, may still
occur to 2 months post-ingestion.
In sheep: administer zinc sulphate, 0.5 g/day per animal.
Sample of contaminated fodder (to identify
any lupin stems and to check for evidence of the mould).