(Caustic soda, alkali)


[affected.gif] Animals most affected
Dogs, (cats).


[etiology.gif] Etiology
Accidental ingestion (dogs) of packaging materials used to contain household cleaning products (powders, etc.), or of products used to unblock sinks, drains and wastepipes, and in industrial detergents. Dermal and ocular discharges may occur following contact.


[toxic.gif] Toxicity
These products are highly caustic and corrosive; incidents involving them are frequently serious and fatal.


[clinical.gif] Clinical features
Following ingestion

Following contact with the skin, mucosac or eyes


[lesions.gif] Lesions


[treatm~1.gif] Treatment
Ingestion
Induction of vomiting or gastric lavage are contraindicated


Note: if a large volume of lye is ingested, few treatments have proven to be of any benefit.

Contact
On the skin - wash initially with large amounts of water, do not rub the skin, then rinse with a 1% solution of diluted acetic acid;
In the eye - wash with copious amounts of water, followed by physiological saline and analgesic eye drops;
topical corticosteroids, antibiotics.