A polyhydric alcohol, a common constituent of antifreeze mixtures and car screen washes.


[affected.gif] Animals most affected
Dogs (cattle).  


[etiology.gif] Etiology
Accidental ingestion of antifreeze for cars, usually when animals drink water drained from car radiators. Pets, especially dogs, are very attracted to ethylene glycol, which has a slightly sweet taste.


[toxic.gif] Toxicity
Ethylene glycol is converted in the animal into oxalic acid which is then deposited in soft tissue (particularly the kidneys and brain).
Toxic oral doses in ml/kg:
LD50 rats 7.5
LD dogs 3-5
 
poultry  
 
7-8
  cats 1.5

       

[clinical.gif] Clinical features

Neurological
(Often most pronounced in dogs):


Gastrointestinal

Urinary

Cardiorespiratory


[lesions.gif] Lesions


[treatm~1.gif] Treatment

The antidote is ethanol:


The above regimen is very effective in the initial stages of poisoning. The efficacy is considerably reduced once the animal has become comatose. Treat symptoms and encourage urinary elimination.


[labinv~1.gif] Laboratory investigations