Copper is an essential trace element.
Animals most affected
Dogs, cattle, (all species).
ingestion of copper-based fungicides
used on plants (Bordeaux mixture consists of 1-3% copper sulphate).
ingestion of copper sulphate solution,
used in agricultural dips for the treatment of foot rot (sheep), or the licking
of copper sulphate crystals which have formed in disused or abandoned foot-baths
Caustic and irritant compound.
Oral doses in mg/kg of copper sulphate:
Often very severe:
watery diarrhoea, grey-green in colour, often haemorrhagic;
painful severe colic.
convulsions, followed by
Death may occur within several hours to several days after ingestion.
congestion of the liver, kidneys and
No specific antidote. Symptomatic care only:
adsorbents (activated vegetable charcoal);
control convulsions if necessary (xylazine,
Contents of the stomach and/or intestine.