Cannabis sativa (Indian hemp plant). Cannabis resin (hashish) is obtained from the flowering top of the plant, while the leaves, which are less potent, are called marihuana, grass or pot.


[affected.gif] Animals most affected
Dogs.


[etiology.gif] Etiology
Accidental ingestion of cannabis resin left accessible by the pet owners. Possibility of absorption of the resin by dogs used as drug carriers (canine body packers).


[toxic.gif] Toxicity
The plant contains several active constituents known as tetrahydrocannabinols, which act principally as hallucinogens. Toxic doses not well established.

Oral doses in mg/kg:
TD dogs 50 - l00


[clinical.gif] Clinical features



[lesions.gif]
Lesions
Non-specific


[treatm~1.gif]
Treatment


[case.gif] Case summaries
A 1-year-old poodle had ingested a 1 g piece of cannabis resin. Within 2-3 hours the dog exhibited ataxia and depression; 12 hours later, and without any treatment, he improved, although showing minor respiratory difficulties.
A 40 kg 'sniffer' (Customs) dog ingested 2 g cannabis resin. He presented immediately with vomiting, and one and a half hours later with mild ataxia. The clinical effects abated several hours later with symptomatic care.