PROVET EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES FOR TEACHERS
RESPONSIBLE PET CARE
Subject : Biological variation in pets - hair coat
Activities for Key Stage 1/2
CLICK HERE for background information to support these activities
1. Discuss the different type of pets that members of the class have at home or that they are in contact with through their family, friends or neighbours. Assess which are the most popular pets and which are the most uncommon.
2. Discuss what type of hair coat the pets have - or what they have instead of hair. Discuss possible reasons why pets have different types of external covering.
3. Discuss what colour hair coat the pets have. (If anyone has related members of a family of pets (eg dogs or cats) do they have the same or different colour coat)
4. Discuss the different patterns of coat colour
4. Discuss how (and why) owners should look after their pet's hair coat