- Detain animal on premises.
- Notify local divisional veterinary officer of the Ministry of Agriculture. .
- Veterinary surgeon and handlers should carry out personal disinfection with soap or detergent (not both) and water, and change contaminated clothing.
- If bitten or scratched, flush wound immediately with soap or detergent (not both) and water, then water alone, then apply 40~70% alcohol, tincture or solutions of iodine, or 0.1% quaternary ammonium compound (e.g. cetrimide BP).
- No further animals should enter the waiting room until case diagnosed or satisfactory cleansing and disinfection of premises has taken place under supervision of Ministry veterinary officer.
- Names and addresses of any contacts (e.g. those in waiting room) should be recorded. The veterinary officer will inform the medical officer for environmental health for any further action.
- If the animal dies or is killed, its head and neck should be removed by a Ministry veterinary officer and transported fresh and intact in a sealed container held at a low temperature, but not frozen, to an appropriate diagnostic laboratory ( in the UK the Central Veterinary Laboratory, Weybridge).
Back to menu