- A parvovirus, a small (20 mm diameter) unenveloped, single-stranded DNA virus.
- Only one serotype known.
- Closely related to the recently emerged canine parvovirus, but minor differences do exist both in the viral DNA and antigenically.
- Parvoviruses have an affinity and requirement for actively dividing cells.
- Very stable virus in external environment; may survive in infected premises for up to a year.
- Susceptible to only a limited number of common disinfectants, e.g. hypochlorite, glutaraldehyde, or formaldehyde.
Back to menu