Table 8.6 Summary: Important historical information in a collapsing horse
- Events surrounding the collapsing episode
- Did the animal collapse at exercise or at rest?
- If at exercise, how tired was it at the time?
- If the animal collapsed at rest, was it being attended or was it alone in its box or field?
- If the owners were in attendance, what exactly were they doing, what had they just done and what were they about to do?
- Was the inciting event part of a regular routine such as grooming or tacking-up or was the inciting cause an unusual occurrence?
The collapse itself
- How long was the animal on the ground?
- Did it make any movement when on the ground?
- Was it aware of its surroundings when it was collapsed?
- Was any eye movement noted?
- What did it do when it recovered?